Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Lack Of Language

Singapore has been known to house multiple races and has become a multiracial society with an array of languages. This has in time become a blend that has been conceived as "Singlish" by the locals. As uncouth or uncultured as it may sound at times, it is actually a result of our ability to work as a multiracial society.


However, let us not be confused with the difference between speaking "Singlish" and "broken English". Singlish believe it or not has a a few rules when using it. However, pronunciations and usage of English words in "Singlish" remain the same. I have no reason to believe why "Catastrophe"(Ca-Tas-Tro-Phe) should be pronounced as "Cas-Tas-Tro-Fro-Fre". Mind you, these are not the only mistakes that I have heard coming from people with a higher degree in education. 

Of course I know that mandarin is just as important. And I know that there are people like  me out there who can hardly read or write in mandarin. It's just a series of boxes and stroke to us that look vaguely similar to each other and some pronounce the same but carry different meanings. It has always amazed me how people can recognize these strokes. China is the new America. My fellow comrades and I are so "out". 

No comments:

Post a Comment